Monday, December 26, 2005

the trees

I see the betrayal in his eyes
hear the quavering sincerity in his voice
his hand reaches for my arm
I hold back unintentionally
as the sound of a tree falling fills my throat
but he does not hear it
the many trees which have been felled in his honor
he has been deaf to them all
maybe it is I
I who have been deaf
surrounded by my trees for too long
their own sounds muffling everything else
my breathe-the wind
my tears-the rain
my laughter-the rustling of leaves
each cacophony of sounds rising up and muting everything else
it is my own forest
complete
in it I can breathe, but can anyone else.
and so I turn to him
prepared to invite him in, showing him the path
but every time I try my personal cacophony fills my senses
until I forget even my own words
and I retreat back
I climb into the trees
higher and higher until I am dizzy
all so I can see the path which is there to take
but I don't leave
not even to save myself from the trees.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Duke said...

I really like how the same theme is used throughout here. This is something I am terrible at, ha ha ha!

For me, the last 5 lines stuck the most. The exit is seen but not taken. Something to think about for sure.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Information Sniper said...

This kind of reminds me of a Rush song, er, incidentally called "The Trees", but that's all good, because I love Neil Pearts lyrics, I liked this work, and yes, I consider my geekiness a social plus.

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home